The Parent Session:
Why do a Parent Session? Making healthy choices begins as home. Parents are a crucial component in raising children with good eating habits and who make healthy lifestyle choices. Parent sessions are an integral part of the FTPL program and can be taught by the school nurse or other FTPL school coordinators.
Materials and Instructions for The Parent Session
To host a parent session schools will need to either use the Parent Session Powerpoint below or the FTPL Video.
2. VIDEO – LINK
3. The Parent Guide: A Parent Guide handout can be created by downloading and printing the following materials:
- Title Page Parent Guide, Title Page Parent Guide (Spanish)
- Food Labels 1, Food Labels 2 and Food Labels 1 (Spanish), Food Labels 2 (Spanish)
- My Food Plate and My Food Plate (Spanish)
- Build a Healthy Meal and Build a Healthy Meal (Spanish)
- 100 Calorie Snack and 100 Calorie Snack (Spanish)
- Food Substitutions and Food Substitutions (Spanish)
- Treasure Map to Health and Treasure Map to Health (Spanish)
- Guide to Health Insurance – Finding a Doctor and Guide to Health Insurance – Finding a Doctor (Spanish)
- Picky Eater Handout (English only)
- Budgeting Tips for Parents (English only)
- (optional), Pre-Test for Parents and Pre-Test for Parents (Spanish)
Publicize your Parent Event:
The FTPL Flyer and Parent Letter can be used to publicize the event (both found under the Materials for Schools tab).
Have A FTPL Doctor Come to You:
At times, if our schedule permits a FTPL doctor can come to your school and present the program to your students’ parents. Please contact our Program Coordinator at email@example.com, to request a date.
The host school will be responsible for promoting and coordinating the event. A FTPL Flyer and Letter to Parents is available under the Materials for Schools tab to help publicized the event. The host school will also need to provide a computer with powerpoint, an over head projector, and copies of The Parent Guide Handouts (one for every attendee either in English or Spanish) and a translator if needed.
Please understand that given our doctors’ schedules and the number or requests we receive, that these visits are very limited.
But we are always here to help you run a successful parent program with the materials provided above.